Monday 3 June 2013

Keep Calm Craft On {crafting on}


Class four cross stitch. I've dabbled in a wee bit of cross stitch here and there. Those little packs where you get a 10cm square of cross stitch fabric a little bundle of embroidery floss and a cross stitch chart to follow. If I'm honest I found it a bit tedious and boring, but I was pleased with the results which I think ended up as Christmas decorations or gifts.  


It was a daunting to start this cross stitch project with a blank piece of fabric that didn't even have visible squares to count your stitches let alone a nice chart to follow!  We started with a row of crosses along one edge.   Once that was there it seemed a little easier.  We worked on a pattern with symmetry and took it from there.  We talked about all the ways you can make a cross and how each way makes a different pattern on the back of the fabric.  We talked about the nine year old crossing and and how the repeating of the cross over and over supports the child at this stage.  We talked about how important handwork is for children these days - even more so than it was in the past.  And we got to use green wool for the first time all year!

See what other folk have been crafting at Nicole's place today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi there and thanks for stopping by to leave a comment.
I love reading them and I'll try my best to respond right here.
Much love,
Dee